Click the QR Code or Scan With Mobile Device to Register
(Registration Open Until June 30, 2022)
Why Summer Reading?
Studies show that children who don’t read during the summer will regress and be less prepared when school starts. This is commonly referred to as the “Summer Slide.” Most students show losses in math, and students from low-income households tend to show significant losses in reading and spelling.
To combat Summer Slide and ultimately succeed in school and life, the National Summer Learning Association (NSLA) states that children need opportunities to learn and practice academic and social skills throughout the summer months.
The NSLA suggests enrolling students in high quality summer programs to engage them in learning new skills, encourage them to develop previously unseen talents, help them stay fit and active, and foster creativity and innovation.
Check out our 2022 Summer Reading Program Guide and Bingo Sheets below!
2022 Summer Reading Program Guide
- Register for Summer Reading at either library location (Madisonville or Dawson Springs) or on the library’s website www.publiclibrary.org or on Facebook.
- Read whatever you want and interpret the prefilled squares as you will.
- Tweens and Teens, fill in the blank spaces with reading activities. Not too sure what to do? Ask a library staff member for some ideas.
- Pick up bingo sheets at either location or print from the library’s website or Facebook (www.facebook.com/hcmplibrary)
- Traditional bingo rules apply. Five (5) in a row in any direction counts as a bingo (vertical, horizontal, diagonal). Each square represents 15 minutes of reading or activity time unless otherwise stated.
- One (1) bingo per sheet.
- Turn in completed bingo sheets at either library location or snap a pic and send to firstname.lastname@example.org or send through Facebook messenger.
- Ten (10) bingos = Completion of the Summer Reading Program! Feel free to do more. For every sheet turned in over the required ten (10), gets your name entered for the Grand Prize drawing of a $75 Walmart Gift Card Or Hopkins County Chamber Check and other Prizes at the finale!
- Preschool – 5th Graders may pick out prizes from the prize box for each bingo they turn in.
- Weekly prize drawings will also take place for Tweens and Teens, so the more bingos you turn in the bigger your chance to win!
- Adults will fill out short reviews about each book they read or listen to or program they attend and turn them in at the front desk. Weekly prizes will be drawn using those reviews. The more reviews turned in, the better the chances of being picked for a prize.
- Last day to turn in completed bingo sheets at either library location is Saturday, July 16, 2022.
Weekly Programs are back!
Be sure to come hang with the library gang and make crafts or participate in fun activities!
K-5th graders: Tuesdays @ 2 pm
Tweens & Teens: Thursdays @ 4 pm
Adults: Thursdays @ 5 pm
Preschoolers: Storytime on Fridays @ 10:30 am
Dates to Remember
May 18th – June 30th: Registration
June 4: Family: Parking Lot Bingo For Books @ Madisonville Location with Dibby’s Ice Cream Truck! @ 5 pm
June 21: Family: Animal Tales @ Madisonville @ 2 pm
June 30: Tweens/Teens/Adults: Henna with Jessikay @ Madisonville @ 5 pm *Registration is Required* (as of Friday, June 10th there are only 7 spots open)
July 14: Teens vs Adult Trivia Night @ 5 pm
July 16: Last day to turn in bingo sheets or reviews!
July 19th: Finale! Outdoor Safety & Survival with Craig Caudill, Director of Nature Reliance School @ TBD
Bingo Sheets Coming Soon!