Madisonville, KY 42431
Tel: (270) 825-2680
Fax: (270) 452-2451
Opening Hours (Beginning August 1, 2019)
History of the Hopkins County – Madisonville Public Library
Our library began in a little room in the back of Miss Georgia Bishop’s shop on the corner of South Main and Bishop Street in 1921. On April 17, 1926 the library moved to 107 Union Street (which now houses the Historical Society) where it flourished for 49 years. The door to 31 South Main Street building (formerly Dulins) was opened on February 2, 1975. In 1976 the Branch Library in Dawson Springs was opened with funds from a demonstration project grant. Due to structural integrity problems with the 31 South Main Street building the library moved in August of 2008 to a temporary location in the Parkway Plaza Mall which formerly housed Dawahares. In the Summer of 2012 the library moved to a different location in the Mall behind Burks Outlet. On September 29, 2015, the library opened at its new and current location at 425 East Center Street, in the building that once housed Sav-a-Lot and Edward’s IGA. The library now has over 15,000 library card holders, 101,000 items and an annual circulation of over 110,000.
We are funded by an inter-local agreement between the City of Madisonville, the Hopkins County government, the City of Dawson Springs, and KDLA. Monetary donations are always welcomed. Memorial contributions, Bestsellers Club purchases and birthday gifts are acknowledged by bookplates and cards to the Honoree or to their family. We are very proud of the changes we have been able to implement within our budgetary constraints. We invite you to come by and visit us!